Comments & ID Thoughts
Found hanging from a tree with what appears to be 2x egg pods?
- Submitted by:
- Submitted: Dec 30, 2018
- Photographed: Dec 30, 2018
- Spider: Celaenia excavata (Bird-dropping Spider)
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
- Spotted Outdoors: Low foliage (shrubs, herbs, garden, excluding flowers)
- Found in web?: No
- Attributes: Dorsal, Egg sacs
The image doesn’t fully show the 2x spherical pods as they are beneath the spider. The spider itself appears to be emerging from a hard case, which is not spherical. The item to the bottom of the picture is not relevant, it was already in the jar. Many thanks in advance. Patrick
Hi, this looks like a Bird-dropping Spider, Celaenia excavata. I’m not really familiar with these and there are a few other possibilities in the genus in your region. I need to rule them out when I have more time.
Thanks for such a quick response. It looks identical to the images of the bird dropping spider, both the spider itself and the egg sacks.