- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Arachnida
- Order: Araneae
- Suborder: Araneomorphae
- Family: Araneidae
- Genus: Araneus
- Species: Araneus gemmoides
Other Common Names
Cat-faced Spider, Jewel Spider, Plains Orbweaver, Ritz Cracker Spider
Ralph Vary Chamberlin & Wilton Ivie, 1935
There have been 15 confirmed sightings of Araneus gemmoides (Cat-faced Spider), with the most recent sighting submitted on July 29, 2019 by Spider ID member marsey-dotes. The detailed statistics below may not utilize the complete dataset of 15 sightings because of certain Araneus gemmoides sightings reporting incomplete data.
- Web: 47% of the time, Araneus gemmoides spiders are sighted in a spider web (Sample size: 15)
- Sex: 3 female and 0 male.
- Environment: Araneus gemmoides has been sighted 14 times outdoors, and 3 times indoors.
- Outdoors: Man-made structure (11). Ground layer (3).
Location and Range
Araneus gemmoides (Cat-faced Spider) has been sighted in the following countries: Canada, United States.
Araneus gemmoides has also been sighted in the following states: Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Washington.
Araneus gemmoides has been primarily sighted during the month of October.
- January: 1
- July: 1
- September: 3
- October: 8
- November: 1
- December: 1