- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Arachnida
- Order: Araneae
- Suborder: Araneomorphae
- Family: Araneidae
- Genus: Araneus
- Species: Araneus gemmoides
Other Common Names
Cat-faced Spider, Jewel Spider, Plains Orbweaver, Ritz Cracker Spider
Ralph Vary Chamberlin & Wilton Ivie, 1935
There have been 20 confirmed sightings of Araneus gemmoides (Cat-faced Spider), with the most recent sighting submitted on November 6, 2023 by Spider ID member daphnelg. The detailed statistics below may not utilize the complete dataset of 20 sightings because of certain Araneus gemmoides sightings reporting incomplete data.
- Web: 45% of the time, Araneus gemmoides spiders are sighted in a spider web (Sample size: 20)
- Sex: 3 female and 0 male.
- Environment: Araneus gemmoides has been sighted 19 times outdoors, and 3 times indoors.
- Outdoors: Man-made structure (14). Low foliage (1). Ground layer (4).
Location and Range
Araneus gemmoides (Cat-faced Spider) has been sighted in the following countries: Canada, United States.
Araneus gemmoides has also been sighted in the following states: Colorado, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington.
Araneus gemmoides has been primarily sighted during the month of October.
- January: 1
- July: 1
- August: 3
- September: 3
- October: 9
- November: 2
- December: 1