- Kingdom: Animalia
- Phylum: Arthropoda
- Class: Arachnida
- Order: Araneae
- Suborder: Araneomorphae
- Family: Araneidae
- Genus: Mecynogea
- Species: Mecynogea lemniscata
Common Name (AAS)
Other Common Names
There have been 8 confirmed sightings of Mecynogea lemniscata (Basilica Orb-weaver), with the most recent sighting submitted on November 28, 2019 by Spider ID member tangledweb. The detailed statistics below may not utilize the complete dataset of 8 sightings because of certain Mecynogea lemniscata sightings reporting incomplete data.
- Web: 88% of the time, Mecynogea lemniscata spiders are sighted in a spider web (Sample size: 8)
- Sex: 1 female and 0 male.
- Environment: Mecynogea lemniscata has been sighted 8 times outdoors, and 0 times indoors.
- Outdoors: Low foliage (2). High foliage (6).
Location and Range
Mecynogea lemniscata (Basilica Orb-weaver) has been sighted in the following countries: United States.
Mecynogea lemniscata has also been sighted in the following states: Alabama, New Jersey, South Carolina.
Mecynogea lemniscata has been primarily sighted during the month of July.
- April: 1
- July: 7