Comments & ID Thoughts
I think the big spider is a Wolf Spider, or a false Wolf Spider. I ran inside to grab my camera to take a picture of it and when I got back the little striped one was already well into eating it!!! Picture was taken at night in Citrus Heights, CA outside near the front door. I’ve never seen either type of spider before here.
- Submitted by:
- Submitted: Mar 30, 2018
- Photographed: Mar 29, 2018
- Spider: Latrodectus geometricus (Brown Widow Spider)
- Location: Citrus Heights , California, United States
- Spotted Outdoors: Man-made structure (building wall, fences, etc.),Low foliage (shrubs, herbs, garden, excluding flowers)
- Found in web?: No
- Attributes: Lateral, Prey
Yes, they were in a web.
Hi, welcome to Spider ID. 🙂 The striped one looks like a Brown Widow (Latrodectus geometricus), and the prey is a Harvestman (Opiliones) … they are arachnids but not actually spiders as they lack silk and venom glands, and have one fused body segment.
Thank you for the information! I’ve never read up on spiders and arachnids before; this is a first.